BREAKING NEWS

Metro

World

Spiritual

28 Jan 2019

TRAGIC! Student Dies After Eating Leftover Food

A young man was found dead in his bed after eating food he kept for 5 days The student, known only as AJ, 20, fell ill after eating the pasta that was on a worktop for five days after being cooked for the first time.

He warmed it up in the microwave and ate it before going out to play sport, but came home an half an hour later severely ill with headaches, abdominal pain and nausea.

AJ vomited for several hours and went to bed at around midnight to try and sleep it off but was found dead by his parents 11 hours later when he failed to turn up for college in Brussels, Belgium.

A post mortem found that he died suddenly from food poisoning caused by bacillus cereus – a spore-forming bacteria that produces toxins and can lead to vomiting and diarrhoea.



AJ treated his illness like regular food poisoning, drinking plenty of water. However, when the food was tested by the National Refereance Laboratory for Food-borne Outbreaks, it was found that it was so poisonous it caused his liver to fail. AJ died in 2008.

The case came to light recently after it featured in the US Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Dr Bernard reviewed it for his YouTube channel.

He said: ‘Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they’re fine.

But be careful of food left out for more than a few hours. If the food smells funny, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.’

It would be recalled that a man died after eating contaminated meat at a village in Nyeri County. Twelve others were admitted to Nanyuki Teaching and Referral Hospital, while five more are recovering at their homes at Ngerima Village of Gakawa location in Kieni East District.

They are said to have suffered from food poisoning after eating mutura — an offal delicacy — and taken soup at a local eatery.

Public health officers from Kieni East and Laikipia East districts said the owner of the eatery sourced his meat from two slaughter houses in Nanyuki Town.

“It seems the meat got contaminated after it had left the slaughter house, because the carcass had been inspected and there has been no complaints from other areas where the meat was consumed,” the public health officer, Mr Michael Kahuthu, said.

The oldest person affected is 53 years old, while the youngest is an 11-month-old baby, who is said to have eaten mutura or drunk soup around October 23.

The first case of food poisoning was reported at the Nanyuki hospital on October 26. The owner of the eatery has since gone underground as the public health officials embarked on a campaign to educate area residents on hygienic ways of handling food.

SHARE THIS STORY USING ANY OF THE BUTTON BELOW ⬇

PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW ⬇⬇⬇

Loading...

SHARE YOUR STORY WITH US VIA EMAIL: INFO@247NIGERIANEWSUPDATE.CO

RECEIVE NEWS VIA OUR WHATSAPP, KINDLY TEXT +234 701 056 0394 TO ADD YOU

CLICK HERE TO JOIN US ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR NEWS UPDATE

CLICK HERE TO JOIN US ON TWITTER FOR INSTANT NEWS UPDATE: @247NGNEWSUPDATE

CLICK HERE TO JOIN MILLIONS AROUND THE GLOBE TO READ NEWS ON OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE

FOR INSTANT UPDATES ON INSTAGRAM CLICK HERE

RECEIVE INSTANT NEWS UPDATE VIA OUR BBM BROADCAST: D3EDEFDF

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 247 Nigeria News Update
Website by Tech Guardian