A devastated dad woke up to find his baby son dead in his arms just two hours after they'd fallen asleep on the sofa, an inquest heard today.
David Hulley, 25, from Stockport, had fallen asleep with four-week-old Karson Winter-Hulley snuggled up to him.
But when he woke up two hours later, his son was unresponsive. Karson was pronounced dead later in hospital on June 24.
David, a fire and security engineer, said: "Beverley had him early. We took him home and he was doing very well. He had a stuffy cold a few days before he died but it wasn’t bothering him too much.
"He seemed OK the night before he died.
“We had him sleeping in the bedroom in a cot next to us. Beverley took him up to his cot and he went to bed OK.
“He woke up wanting to be picked up at about 5:30am. He was not crying out of the ordinary.
“He seemed to calm down and snuggled in to me. I was comforting him whilst the bottle warmed up, I was just admiring him and amazed by him.
“He went off to sleep and I fell asleep with him on the sofa. I wasn’t fully lying down, I was right up against the back and he was on my arm. I just dozed off."
However David immediately realised something was wrong when he stirred.
He told the inquest: "His skin colour wasn’t a live skin colour. He felt warm, but I thought everything I could have thought in that moment. I looked at him and thought he looked sweet for a moment, I didn’t want to disturb him but I wanted to see a twitch or movement but he didn’t.
“I ran upstairs and said to Beverly I think something’s wrong with him. Beverly tried kissing his mouth but she couldn’t feel anything. We called an ambulance and they tried to resuscitate him.”
Pathologist Melanie Newbold said: "He was quite a small baby for his age. He had no outside injuries or marks and was perfectly normal. He had signs of a common cold, but he was well until he died.
“Sleeping on a sofa or in a bed with adults can cause a risk but we don’t always know why. I had to record the cause of death as ascertained. There is nothing to say any of these things contributed but it could have.”
Det Insp Graham Jenkins, who investigated Karson’s death, said: “There was nothing of concern to us. I could tell it was a loving warm family address. There were lots of toys and pictures around.
“There was a cot at the side of the bed in their bedroom, and another child’s bedroom which was a lovely child’s bedroom. There was nothing in the address that raised concerns. There was nothing suspicious about his death.”
“There was no concern with his death and the days leading up to his death. He had a cold but nothing to cause concern and not caused him to die.
“Tragically, particularly in children under 12 months, this can be common.
“Karson died of a short and sudden death with no explanation which is a risk in young babies and children.
"It is a very tragic thing to lose a child in this circumstance. Some babies do die unexpectedly and no one is to blame for it."
Source: The Sun UK SHARE THIS STORY USING ANY OF THE BUTTON BELOW ⬇ PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW ⬇⬇⬇