The 13-year-old was reportedly knocked down by a BRT bus at the Maryland bus stop, Lagos, immediately he alighted from another BRT bus.
This is just as his mother, Funke Oladipo, alleged that Primero Nigeria Limited, the operator of BRT buses on the Ikorodu Road corridor, had abandoned the victim at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, where he was admitted.
She said an official of the transport firm, identified as Yomi, stopped visiting the victim about two weeks ago when he collected the victim’s hospital bills.
PUNCH Metro learnt that Abdullahi was knocked down by the BRT bus on March 16, 2018.
His right leg and hand were reportedly crushed by the vehicle.
He was reportedly going to his aunt’s residence in Mende, Maryland, from the Onipanu area, where he had attended an extra mural class when the incident happened.
His mother told our correspondent that the family had not heard from the company managing the BRT buses since the firm paid N100,000 for the treatment.
She said, “He was going to Mende that day to spend the weekend with my sister. As he alighted from a BRT bus, another oncoming BRT bus hit him. He was taken to the Eko Hospital from where he was referred to LASUTH.
“The BRT management gave us N100,000 when the incident happened. One of their officials, Mr. Yomi, came here (LASUTH) about two weeks ago and we gave him a medical bill totalling N400,000.
“He promised to get back to me soon. I have been calling him, but he did not pick my calls and nobody from the BRT management has visited since then. I called him again today (Monday); he did not pick my calls. It was my sister’s call he later picked and he only promised her that he would come.”
Funke said her son was billed for grafting on his lap on Friday after which a surgery would be carried out on his dislocated hip.
“A doctor has told us from day one in the presence of Mr. Yomi that the grafting would cost about N180,000. We have to pay before Wednesday if we want it to be done on Friday. We are worried that the management is not showing up and I have no means of paying the bills,” she added.
But the Chief Security Officer of Primero, Cletus Okodolor, said the delay in the payment of the bills was caused by the insurance company used by the transport firm.
He promised to visit the victim this week, adding that the management had been appealing to the insurer to release money.
He said, “We first gave them N100,000 upfront. We have collected bills which we have given to our insurer; we are pushing the bills. We are cashless in the office. I had to rally round before we could raise the N100,000 we gave them.
“We have not abandoned the boy; he could be my son. I assure the family that we are going to pay the bills. When we take the money to them, we will collect another bill. This week, we will follow up and see what we can get from the insurer. I will tell Yomi to call the family.” THINK YOUR FRIEND WOULD BE INTRESTED? SHARE THIS STORY USING ANY OF THE SHARE BUTTON BELOW ⬇ PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>