According to Channels TV, he was said to be returning to Idiroko area of the state from Abeokuta at about 8pm on Tuesday alongside eight personnel of the customs when the suspects attacked his convoy.
Madugu, who narrated his ordeal to journalists on Thursday at the Idiroko Customs Headquarters, said the hoodlums took advantage of the traffic jam at Ijako axis to attack his convoy.
“We were caught in the web of a traffic jam at Ijako axis of Abeokuta-Ifo Road when the hoodlums came and attacked my convoy. They destroyed and vandalised our vehicles”, he said.
The customs boss the convoy dispersed the hoodlums with a reinforcement, adding that his men exhibited maturity to avoid any bloodshed.
‘We refused to be provoked, we did not fire guns to avoid calamity, particularly because of innocent motorists and passersby. We have to call for reinforcement before we could leave the scene,” he said.
Madugu, however, noted that the command would not relent in its resolve to clamp down on smugglers, describing the attack as a prove of efficiency on the part of customs.
“The attack would not discourage us, we shall not be intimidated. Attacking us shows that we are working and we are mounting pressure on them. We are always one step ahead of smugglers,” he added.
The comptroller said the case had been reported to the police while investigation had commenced in order to apprehend the suspects.
Meanwhile, he disclosed that the command seized 1,000 bags of rice and 200 kegs of vegetable oil, as well as confiscated some exotic cars believed to be brought into the country illegally in less than a week. THINK YOUR FRIEND WOULD BE INTRESTED? SHARE THIS STORY USING ANY OF THE SHARE BUTTON BELOW ⬇ PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>