The governors, who met in Port Harcourt on the platform of the South-South, South-East Governors’ Forum, said that the demand was necessary now that there was a national consensus on the issues.
The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, added that two regions would continue to be worse off without the will to exploit the political economic complementarities for political and economic and social fortunes.
Here are some of the highlight of the meeting:
1. Wike said the Southeast and South south would continue to be worse off without the will to exploit political and economic complementarities to drive our ways into political, economic and social prosperity.
2. They demand for the devolution of powers and resources to the states as well as the institutionalisation of state police, now that there is national consensus on these issues.
3. Akwa Ibom State Governor, who is also Chairman of the Forum, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, urged the governors of the two regions to form a common front for socio-economic development, describing the meeting as a new beginning for the two geopolitical zones for the good of her people.
4. He said “Federal presence in the region is minimal and only seen in the presence of policemen.”
5. The forum’s chairman called for the development of an industrial framework that would enhance development and maintained that the regions were better of united than divided.
6. They pleaded with Nigerians to continue to strive for the unity of the country.
7. For geo-strategic economic perspective, they expressed need to establish and link Southeast and South south cities with railways and super highways; to provide viable and affordable flight services between the cities, and to ensure that cargoes are brought into the country and the regions through the seaports, jetties and ferry services as a veritable means of stimulating economic growth and social progress across the two regions.
Some of those who attended the meeting are Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State, his counterpart from Ebonyi State, Dave Umahi; Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State and Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State
Others in attendance are Acting Governor of Bayelsa State, Rear Admiral Gboribiogha John Jonah; Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Dr. Nkem Okeke; Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi; Edo State Deputy Governor; Philip Shaibu and Deputy Governor of Cross River State, Prof. Ivara Esu. THINK YOUR FRIEND WOULD BE INTRESTED? SHARE THIS STORY USING ANY OF THE SHARE BUTTON BELOW ⬇ PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>