BREAKING NEWS

Metro

World

Spiritual

News

Sports

Celebs & Showbiz

Opinion

17 Jan 2019

Army Raises Alarm As Lassa Fever Kills Soldier In Jos

Major General Nuhu Angbazo, General Officer Commanding 3 Division, Nigeria Army Rukuba, has directed that Maxwell Khobe Cantonment, Jos, Plateau, be fumigated.

The directive was given following the death of a non-commissioned senior officer in the cantonment from Lassa fever.

The Division made the disclosure on Thursday in a statement by Maj. Ikechukwu Eze, Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations.

Eze said that while the Division commenced investigations to unravel all circumstances that led to the soldier’s death, it also took other measures to forestall the spread of the disease in the cantonment.

“Contact tracing and monitoring for both primary and secondary contacts has commenced.

“This is being done in collaboration with representatives of World Health Organization,  medical personnel of Bingham University Teaching Hospital and 3 Division Medical Services and Hospital.

“Sensitization for residents of Maxwell Khobe Cantonment, the host community and the general public has also commenced,” he added.

The acting deputy director explained that the deceased was admitted and being managed for resistant malaria at the 3 Div Hospital after returning from Kogi State where he went for his father’s burial, but with no significant improvement.

This, he said, resulted in the patient being referred to Bingham University Teaching Hospital Jos for further management.

He said that the soldier died on January 15, 2019, four days after his case was reported.

“Available medical information confirmed that the soldier may have died of Lassa Fever,” he said

(NAN)

Robbery In National Assembly: It's Not Only You, Ekweremadu Tells Tinubu

The Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, on Thursday, shocked his colleagues when he revealed how some thieves broke into the luxury car of a senator and stole huge sums of money.

He lamented that the multi-million naira Close Circuit Television devise installed in the National Assembly was not functional as of the time of the incident.

Ekweremadu stated this while responding to a point of order raised by Senator Oluremi Tinubu, complaining about a burglary case which occurred in her office during the yuletide and New Year break.

The deputy senate president who presided over the session sympathized with Tinubu, but noted that the incident in her office was not an isolated matter because a similar incident happened in the House of Representatives.

He said, “A colleague came for a transaction and left some money in his car during the Christmas break. Some people broke into the car and removed some money.

“Since he parked his car close to the main Senate complex, he thought that the CCTV  camera would capture the activities of the burglars but regrettably, the CCTV did not work when it was checked and it is really embarrassing.”

He therefore directed the National Assembly management to investigate all burglary issues that had been reported so far, and furnish the leadership of the federal parliament, the outcome of its investigations as soon as possible..

Tinubu, who came under Order 43 (personal explanation), had raised the alarm that the incident in her office was giving her serious concern.

He said, “My office was closed on 7th December because of my constituency engagements. My staff resumed on Wednesday January 9 and reported a case of burglary in my office.”

She urged the Senate to direct the National Assembly management to replace all the items stolen in her office.

BREAKING: Serena storms past Bouchard to reach Aussie Open third round

Serena Williams stormed past Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard and into the Australian Open third round Thursday as her quest for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title gathered pace.

The American won 6-2, 6-2 in 70 minutes, setting up unseeded Ukrainian teenager Dayana Yastremska as the next hurdle in her bid for another major to equal the mark set by Australian great Margaret Court.

Details Later

(AFP)

New Zealand Deports Unruly Group Of British Citizens

A group of British tourists has been asked to leave New Zealand after they were reported for shoplifting, littering, threatening residents and causing chaos, an immigration official said on Thursday.

The family, who are travelling on British passports, were involved in a series of incidents in Auckland, New Zealand’s largest city, and Hamilton this week that have shocked New Zealanders.

Peter Devoy, Assistant General Manager for Immigration New Zealand (INZ), told Reuters five individuals from the group had been served with Deportation Liability Notices, the first stage in the deportation process.

The individuals can appeal against the deportation orders and can only be deported if they agree to waive their appeal rights or if the appeal rights expire, he said in an emailed statement.

The group, which included children and women, made headlines in New Zealand newspapers after littering at the North Shore beach in Auckland and threatening residents.

A video posted on Facebook showed that a child, asked by a woman to clean up the rubbish, responded by saying he would “knock your brains out”.

Police were called later the same day by staff at a Burger King outlet in the city of Hamilton, about 130 km (80 miles) south of Auckland, who complained that the group was causing a ruckus.

They had also been spotted in a number of cafes and restaurants in Auckland’s central business district, and businesses had complained that they walked out without paying or had abused their employees.

A woman from the group was convicted on Wednesday for stealing a can of Red Bull, sunglasses and rope worth NZ$55.20 ($37.41) from a petrol station.

Immigration officers caught up with the group on Wednesday, after extensive media coverage, and handed them the deportation notices.

Devoy said the deportation notices could be issued for a number of reasons, including matters relating to character.

“INZ understands that the individuals intend to leave New Zealand next week,” he said.

One member of the group, however, told reporters earlier this week they would cut short their trip and return home because they felt “unwelcome” in New Zealand.

VIDEO: My Friends Are Entitled To Be Rich, Atiku Says In New Video

Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), says his friends are entitled to be rich.

He said this in Lagos during an interactive session with the business community.

Atiku was asked to respond to Eurasia Group’s analysis on him enriching his cronies if he gets elected and he said he was happy that the group did not say he would enrich himself or his family.

The presidential candidate said his friends are entitled to be rich as long as there’s no element of corruption.

“I’m happy that they didn’t say I will enrich myself, or the members of my family but my friends, are my friends not entitled to be enriched? As long as there’s no element of corruption in there.”

Watch video below:

Source: The Cable

February Elections: INEC Discloses Number Of Ad-Hoc Staff Needed

Ahead of the forthcoming general elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Thursday disclosed that it would engage 14, 000 ad-hoc staff for the conduct of the exercise in Gombe.

The INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC, in the state, Alhaji Umar Ibrahim, made the disclosure on Thursday in Gusau, while speaking with News Agency of Nigeria, NAN.

Ibrahim disclosed that the ad-hoc staff would be deployed to 2,985 polling units and voting points across the state.

According to Ibrahim: “They include NYSC members, students of the federal tertiary institutions, ex-corp members, staff of federal ministries, departments and agencies, lecturers of federal tertiary institutions and retired judges.

“We have begun training for serving corps members while training of other categories of ad-hoc staff will commence from Jan. 23.

“I am appealing to traditional rulers and religious leaders to call on their subjects to treat corps members and other election duty staff posted to their communities fairly.

“They are patriotic citizens on national duty and should be given every support.”

Agbakoba Drags AGF Malami To Court Over CJN Onnoghen

A former President of Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Chief Olisa Agbakoba, SAN, has dragged the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, to court.

Agbakoba approached the Federal High Court in Abuja over moves by the Nigerian government to arraign the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen, over his alleged non-declaration of assets.

In the suit the human rights lawyer, through his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, maintained that the six-count charge pending against the CJN at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, in Abuja, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void.

He is praying the court to determine, “Whether having regard to the decision of the Court of Appeal in NgajiwaV FRN (2017) LPELR-43391 (CA) , the combined provisions of sections 6, 153,158,287(2), and 292(1) and Paragraph 21(b) of the 3rd Schedule to the 1999 Constitution, as altered and extant provisions of the Code of Conduct for Judicial Officers, the present charge in Charge No: CCT/ABJ/01/19 against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, does not amount to flagrant and violent disregard of the provisions of the Constitution, due process of law, and, therefore, unconstitutional, null, void and of no effect whatsoever.

“Whether the 1st and 2nd defendants can competently file and maintain charges against Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, before the 3rd defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, or indeed any court or tribunal without prior recourse to the 4th defendant, the National Judicial Council, in accordance with constitutional provisions.

“Whether the 1st and 2nd defendants can maintain charges against Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, in Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 before the 3rd Defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, or indeed any Court or Tribunal without affording him adequate time and facilities for preparation of his defence.”

Agbakoba also prayed the court to among other things, declare that, “the purported steps taken by the 1st and 2nd Defendants to arraign Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, before the 3rd Defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, on the basis of Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 filed therein, without prior recourse to the 4th Defendant, the National Judicial Council, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void.

“A declaration that the purported or proposed arraignment, of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, the 3rd Defendant, on Monday 14th January, 2019, or on any other date whatsoever, on the basis Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 filed therein, without first having prior recourse to the 4th Defendant, the National Judicial Council, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void.

“A declaration that the purported or proposed arraignment, of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, the 3rd Defendant, on Monday 14th January, 2019, or on any other date whatsoever, without first being afforded sufficient time and facilities for preparation of his defence, is unconstitutional, null and void, being a gross violation of the provisions of Section 36 (6) (b) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

“A declaration that Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19, filed against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, by the 1stand 2nd Defendants, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, the 3rd Defendant, without first having prior recourse to the 4th Defendant, the National Judicial Council, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void.

“An order of this Honourable Court, quashing and/or setting aside, in their entirety, all the charges preferred by the 1st and 2nd Defendants, against Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, before the 3rd Defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, in Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 and nullifying all steps taken by the 2nd and 3rd Defendants, leading to the said illegal and unconstitutional arraignment or proposed arraignment of Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, CJN before the 3rd Defendant. Likewise,

“An order of injunction by this Honourable Court, restraining the 1st and 2nd Defendants, whether by themselves, servants,privies or officers working under them, from maintaining the charges or taking any further steps towards maintenance and prosecution of any charges, against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, before the 3rd Defendant or any other Court or Tribunal, without first having recourse to the 4th Defendant.”

Other defendants in the suit are the Code of Conduct Bureau, the CCT and the National Judicial Council.

BREAKING: Osinbajo Chairs NEC Meeting On New Minimum Wage

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo is currently presiding over the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The meeting, which will deliberate on the minimum wage request, among other issues, started around 11.26am on Thursday when Osinbajo arrived at the Council chamber.

After the National anthem, opening prayer was offered by Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong.

Other state governors in attendance included Lagos, Zamfara, Adamawa, Kebbi, Jigawa, Niger, Ekiti and Bauchi.

Among the deputy governors in the hall included Nasarawa and Ogun.

Also in attendance were the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Boss Mustapha, Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige, Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed.

Others at the meeting included Minister of Budget and National Planning, Udoma Udo Udoma, FCT Minister, Mohammed Bello, Minister of Education Adamu Adamu, CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele.

Adekunle Gold And Simi Drop SIZZLING Romantic Visuals For “Promise”

Newlyweds Adekunle Gold and Simi have dropped a brand new song titled “Promise”. The music video has also been released and it has everyone feeling quite emotional.
The video shows the couple in different settings of a wedding from scenes with their friends joining them to celebrate their day, to intimate moments involving just the two of them, this video would have you randomly smiling through it and since fans didn’t really get a lot of detail from their wedding, this just might make up for it.

Watch the video below:

Church Guards Allegedly Steal Pastor's Daughter's Underwear In Ondo

Two church security guards have reportedly stolen a pastor's daughters panties in a community in Ondo state.

According to a report by Nigerian Tribune, two Church security guards were on Wednesday, arrested by the men of the Ondo state police command over the disappearance of two underwear belonging to the daughter of the clergy in charge of the church.

The two suspects, Samuel Linus and Adekunle Ogundana, who were on night duty were alleged to have removed the underwear spread within the church vicarage by the young lady around 9 pm and disappear before dawn.

It was gathered that the young lady raised the alarm around 6 am the following day after discovering that the two pants spread on the line at the back of her room had disappeared while the security had left the compound for their homes.

The young lady raised the alarm while the clergy summoned the two security guards who denied the allegation before they were handed over to the police.

While one of the suspects, Ogundana said he was sick throughout the night battling with ulcer, while Linus said there was no strange movement in the church premises and the vicarage in the night.

Linus said: “The only strange thing I noticed during the night was the barking of the dog in the middle of the night. i moved to the place but there was no strange movement.
“I was surprised when I was called about the development because I have no business with pants or underwear ”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Femi Joseph, said the command has begun the investigation into the disappearance of the young lady underwear, while the two suspects would remain in police custody.
 
Copyright © 2015 247 Nigeria News Update
Website by Tech Guardian