BREAKING NEWS

Metro

World

Spiritual

7 Apr 2018

Road Construction Process In Ekiti Takes Another Turn As Four Corpses Are Exhumed

The demolition of houses to pave way for road construction in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State capital, took a more serious turn on Thursday when about four corpses were exhumed as part of the exercise.
It was learnt that seven tombs had been marked for exhumation, out of which four had been destroyed as of Thursday.

An eyewitness, who craved anonymity, told NAN that as of the close of work on Thursday, no fewer than four corpses had been exhumed, while the remaining might still be exhumed.

A native and relative of one of the deceased whose corpses were exhumed, also lamented that the compensation that the government claimed it paid did not cover the displacement of corpses and the cost of transferring the corpses to another location.

Meanwhile, hundreds of custodians and worshippers of deities and shrines in the state capital on Friday protested against the plan to demolish some sacred places in the town.

It was learnt that the protesters engaged the bulldozer operators in a bid to prevent further demolition after Thursday’s exercise. It was gathered that shops, houses and makeshift stores adjacent to the palace of the Ewi of Ado-Ekiti, Oba Rufus Adejugbe, were pulled down.

The Friday protest was also said to have been fuelled by the suspicion by the protesters that the bulldozers returned on Friday to pull down structures close to the two shrines and two sacred trees in the town.

The names of the two shrines were given as “Ogun” and “Ejeye Oka Ere”, located within the premises of the Arowa of Ado Ekiti’s court.

Other witnesses confirmed to NAN that worshippers of the deities prevented the bulldozers from pulling down the deities. Armed security personnel were also said to have immediately been drafted to the area, including the entrance to the palace of the Ewi to prevent breakdown of law and order.

It was learnt that the protest later led to the temporary suspension of demolition works around the shrines.

The state government had said in March that it had so far demolished over 300 houses in Ado-Ekiti, Ikere-Ekiti, Efon Alaaye-Ekiti, Omuo-Ekiti, Ise-Ekiti, Emure-Ekiti and Ijero-Ekiti in continuation of its urban renewal programme.

The government also said it had paid about N400m as compensation to affected persons.

Also, the State Commissioner for Lands and Urban Development, Mr Tayelolu Otitoju, had said that government embarked on the project to ease traffic congestion and adhere to government’s urban policy.

He also pointed out that government would not compensate owners of demolished houses that were built on waterways and those that did not comply with the necessary setbacks. He said such property owners had been warned in the past.

THINK YOUR FRIEND WOULD BE INTRESTED? SHARE THIS STORY USING ANY OF THE SHARE BUTTON BELOW ⬇

PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

( FREE ) secret Fruits that Increased My Manhood size and Lasting Power in 7-days... CLICK HERE TO GET IT

Warning To Men: This 3 Foods Is Killing Your Erection. Click Here To Know Them

Loading...

SHARE YOUR STORY WITH US VIA EMAIL: INFO@247NIGERIANEWSUPDATE.CO

RECEIVE NEWS VIA OUR WHATSAPP, KINDLY TEXT +234 701 056 0394 TO ADD YOU

CLICK HERE TO JOIN US ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR NEWS UPDATE

CLICK HERE TO JOIN US ON TWITTER FOR INSTANT NEWS UPDATE: @247NGNEWSUPDATE

CLICK HERE TO JOIN MILLIONS AROUND THE GLOBE TO READ NEWS ON OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE

FOR INSTANT UPDATES ON INSTAGRAM CLICK HERE

RECEIVE INSTANT NEWS UPDATE VIA OUR BBM BROADCAST: D3EDEFDF

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 247 Nigeria News Update
Website by Tech Guardian