While some berated the organisers of the concert for not speaking on the incident, others called on the state government to address issues of gang rapes at concerts in the state.
This followed a report by PUNCH Metro that some attendees of the Flavour’s concert alleged mass gang rapes.
They claimed that they witnessed some ladies being ravished by hoodlums during the show, which was reportedly attended by the state Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.
The participants said the policemen and bouncers at the event could not do anything to stop the sexual attacks.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, in a statement, had said the police had a case of attempted gang rape, adding that a suspect was in custody.
Some Nigerians, who reacted to the report on different social media platforms, said the situation was getting out of hand.
On Twitter, one MsCole @bimzycole, said something could be wrong with residents of the area.
“I may be wrong. Isn’t it the same Enugu that some people had rape stories to tell after Phyno’s concert? There is something wrong with the men living in that city and it seems they get away with this gruesome act,” she tweeted.
Another user, ThankGod Ukachukwu@tksilicon, suggested the use of military officials during concerts in the state.
He said, “Last year’s biggest concert in Enugu, there were rape allegations. This year at Flavour’s concert, there were incidents of rape. The concert organisers should invest more in security. Add N200 per ticket for security and make it obvious and use the army.”
One jeffrey@VillageParrot, said, “Enugu boys, come out and let’s talk about the rape culture in your state that has left many girls raped at two concerts.”
A user, Chuklegend@Chuklegend, said the recurrent trend should be a source of concern to the authorities.
One MsCole @bimzycole said, “Enugu State Government can’t ignore the rape cases anymore. First it was Phyno, now it’s Flavour’s concert. What’s going on? Is there a need to ban live concerts in the state? Animals in human skin.”
A responder, Malarkey @InvictaPars, however, wondered why the organisers of the Flavour concert had yet to issue a statement on the incident.
“More than 24 hours after news of allegations of organised gang rapes broke in Enugu, neither the show’s organisers nor the performer, Flavour, has uttered a word of condemnation. Meanwhile, the conversation on social media has long descended to disagreements about the ethnic identity of perpetrators,” he said.
One Bugzy Dvinci @bugzydvinci, urged the victims to summon the courage and tell their stories.
“Dear coal city, this was what happened when people got raped at a concert: Drake & Future got sued. Enugu is quiet about the concert rape that has been going on since Phyno Fest 2017. You can’t bring people to a concert without proper security logistics and plan,” he tweeted.
One Onyema Isa claimed this his friend’s sister was among the victims of the alleged rape.
He asked the state government to fish out the suspects.
On PUNCH Online, a reader, who identified herself as Dr Bunmi Binitie, said the residents needed religious programmes, urging the state governor to invite a deliverance preacher to the state.
One Sheryph Apena cursed the alleged perpetrators.
“The police could have shot into the air and just stop the nonsense concert right away And the thing dey just vex me as I dey read am, kini gbogbo nonsense yi na,” he said.
However, the Enugu State Government, in its reaction, said it never sponsored Flavour’s concert.
The state Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ogbuagu Anikwe, in a telephone chat with PUNCH Metro in Enugu on Tuesday, distanced Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi from the show.
“It is not a government-sponsored concert,” he said.
Anikwe noted that the government would work with the police to forestall recurring rapes during musical concerts in the state.
He said, “We have noted what the security agencies, precisely the police, said on the matter, so we are going to work with them.
“The truth is that there is something good being done in Enugu State, which miscreants are taking advantage of to commit crimes. We can’t take joy away from the people.
“What we are going to do is to work with the police to strengthen security at such concerts in the future.”
Flavour’s management team had yet to respond to calls and a text message from one of our correspondents on the incident as of press time.
THINK YOUR FRIEND WOULD BE INTRESTED? SHARE THIS STORY USING ANY OF THE SHARE BUTTON BELOW ⬇ PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ( FREE ) secret Fruits that Increased My Manhood size and Lasting Power in 7-days... CLICK HERE TO GET IT Warning To Men: This 3 Foods Is Killing Your Erection. Click Here To Know Them