According to a report by The Sun UK, David Worsley caught African salmonella, a strain of the infection which was confined to his genital area, in Tunisia.
The grandad was in agony as his privates swelled to ten times their normal size when he got home.
His left testicle then burst as he had a bath and he is now taking legal action against tour operator TUI.
He said: “I was told that I had a rare form of salmonella called African salmonella.
"After the holiday, my testicle had swollen to the size of a grapefruit and it was so heavy it was like it was made of glass.
“The pain was so bad I thought I was going to die.
“When it finally exploded I felt fantastic. It was such a relief.
"The doctor said I was highly contagious and that I wasn’t allowed to sleep with my wife. I was walking around holding them all the time, it was so heavy.”
“A few days later, I woke up at about 5am with the most excruciating pain in my left testicle. I could barely move and I was in tears from the agony.
David, from Bolton, said: “It literally went bang. When the doctor saw it later she said that it was like a volcano exploding. But it was such a relief because the pain had been so bad.”
“It has definitely affected me psychologically, it’s a big part of being a man that has gone.”
The security guard was with wife Joanne, 50, at the Rui Marco Polo Hotel in Hammamet when he fell ill in 2014.
Despite sickness and a high temperature, he claims a TUI rep said he just had sunstroke.
Back home he spent ten days in hospital but the burst came a day after he was discharged.
Representing him, Hannah Crosby, of law firm Slater and Gordon, said: “This is one of the worst holidays from hell I have seen.”
TUI said it would be “inappropriate to comment” because of the legal proceedings. PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How I Made Me =N=2.5 MILLION In 7Days from 2 Common Product I Imported and how you can do the same. Click HERE FOR FREE Details right now