Mugabe's decades-long grip on power was dramatically weakened as military vehicles blocked roads outside the parliament in Harare and senior soldiers delivered a late-night television address to the nation.
"We wish to assure the nation that his excellency the president... and his family are safe and sound and their security is guaranteed," Major General Sibusiso Moyo said, slowly reading out a statement.
Here are the latest issues surrounding Zimababwe crisis:
- Military takes control, denies coup -
- Mugabe is “safe and sound” – army on state TV -
- Embassies tell citizens to stay indoors
- Armoured vehicles patrol Harare
- Queues are forming outside banks in the Zimbabwean capital, Harare
- Reports say Sacked vice president, 'Mnangagwa behind military action'
- Mugabe still in charge but ruling party divided over who should succeed Mugabe - Zanu-PF
-President Robert Mugabe is safe but reportedly being held
- Jacob Zuma of South Africa has expressed concerns over the uncertain political situation in the Republic of Zimbabwe.
- Coup planned weeks ago, accelerated when Mugabe fired deputy
- Military will work with ruling party, opposition group
- President Robert Mugabe’s refusal to publicly resign is stalling plans by Zimbabwe’s military to swiftly install a transitional government - sources SHARE YOUR STORY WITH US VIA EMAIL: INFO@247NIGERIANEWSUPDATE.CO RECEIVE NEWS VIA OUR WHATSAPP, KINDLY TEXT +234 701 056 0394 TO ADD YOU CLICK HERE TO JOIN US ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR NEWS UPDATE CLICK HERE TO JOIN US ON TWITTER FOR INSTANT NEWS UPDATE: @247NGNEWSUPDATE CLICK HERE TO JOIN MILLIONS AROUND THE GLOBE TO READ NEWS ON OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE FOR INSTANT UPDATES ON INSTAGRAM CLICK HERE RECEIVE INSTANT NEWS UPDATE VIA OUR BBM BROADCAST: D3EDEFDF PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>