Spokesman of the 6 Division of the Nigerian Army, Port Harcourt, Col. Aminu Iliyasu, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Port Harcourt on Thursday.
Iliyasu said the army only assisted the police on Tuesday following violent clash between members of the Indigenous People of Biafra and the Hausa community.
According to him, troops have since been withdrawn to strategic locations while the police are now fully in control of the situation.
“Some persons are just trying to stir up tension by insinuating that the army was involved in a shoot-out with IPOB members in the early hours of Thursday.
“If any security agency had a shoot-out with anyone; then it is definitely not the army that took part in the shootout.
“This is because the army has since withdrawn troops on Tuesday after normalcy was restored, to enable the police discharge their constitutional mandate.
“However, soldiers are currently on a standby in case the situation escalates beyond what the police can handle. It is only in that situation that the army will intervene,” he said.
The spokesman said that no arrest was made by the army during its brief intervention in the clash that ensued between IPOB members and the Hausa community.
He said that relative calm had been restored with social and economic activities returning to the area. PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Make Between =N=1,000,000 to =N=2,500,000 In the next 7 Days from simple Importation Business like we did. Click HERE FOR FREE Details right now Warning To Men: This 3 Foods Is Killing Your Erection. Click Here To Know Them