Before Ighalo had the honour of being the most expensive Nigerian player, it was previously held by ex-Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel for eleven years after the Blues splashed out €20m to secure his services from Lyn Oslo, with Manchester United also compensated.
The third and fourth most expensive transfers involving Nigerian players were completed in the last thirteen months.
Former Premier League champs Leicester City signed Ahmed Musa and Wilfred Ndidi for €19.5 million and €17.6 million respectively.
The costliest Nigerian defender in history is Taribo West, thanks to his €12 million switch from Auxerre to Inter Milan in June 1997.
Thirteenth position currently belongs to Chelsea right wing-back Victor Moses, who moved to the Stamford Bridge outfit in 2012 from Wigan Athletic for €11.5 million.
Here is the Current Nigerian Transfer Record (Top 20)
1. Odion Ighalo – Watford to Changchun Yatai- €23.3m
2. Obi Mikel – Lyn Oslo to Chelsea – €20m
3. Ahmed Musa – CSKA to Leicester – €19.5m
4. Wilfred Ndidi – Genk to Leicester – €17.6m
5. Yakubu Aiyegbeni – Boro to Everton – €16.5m
6. Obafemi Martins – Inter to Newcastle – €16m
7. Isaac Success – Granada to Watford – €15m
8. Emmanuel Emenike – Spartak to Fenerbahce – €13m
9. Brown Ideye – Dynamo Kiev to WBA – €12.63m
10. Austin Okocha – Fenerbahce to PSG – €12.4
11. Taribo West – Auxerre to Inter – €12m
12. Brown Ideye – Olympiakos to Tianjin Teda – €12m
13. Victor Moses – Wigan to Chelsea – €11.5m
14. Anthony Ujah – Werder to Liaoning FC – €11.5m
15. Obafemi Martins – Newcastle to Wolfsburg – €10.5m
What do you think? PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How I TOTALLY Got Rid Of my POT BELLY,excess Fat and Overweight In just 2weeks.. Click HERE for Details.