One of the residents of Azubuike Akani Street in Rumukwachi , Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, who simply identified herself as Mrs. Chinyere, told Southern City News that Mrs. Danaogun had on July 28, 2017, came home with kerosene suspected to be adulterated,
Chinyere explained that the woman had been selling the product to unsuspecting members of the public, adding that she (Mrs. Danaogun) stored the fuel within her apartment, where she also cooked with a stove.
“That night, at about 9.30pm, after she returned home, all her children were inside. While cooking, she and a neighbour began to quarrel. But her husband, who was sitting outside appealed to her to stop quarrelling. I think it must be the fire from the stove that must have spread to the where the kerosene was stored.
“The kerosene was stored in many nylon bags and kept at veranda. Maybe, while she was quarrelling, she never knew that the stove was close to her. She was must have unconsciously kicked the cooking stove and the fire got close to the stored kerosene.
“Her husband, out of fear, immediately told the children to remain indoors until they quench the fire, not knowing that the kerosene had already spilled into the room. The children were burnt to death before any help could come,” she said,
Chinyere explained that the entire building was burnt with nothing left for the 14 tenants to pick, even as she recalled how the four children, who were 11, eight, six and three years old respectively held each other until they were burnt to death.
“We were all shocked over the incident, especially when the bodies of the children were brought out. The children held each other before they died,” Chinyere added,
She, however, disclosed that the mother of the children was seriously affected by the incident, adding that she ran out half naked for two days until her husband located her.
It was gathered that Mr. and Mrs. Danagun immediately relocated to Oyo State to begin a new life after losing their children and all their belongings to the kerosene explosion.
Also, the caretaker of the affected house, Mr. Chidi Okere, told Southern City News that he would have stopped Mrs. Danaogun from dealing in adulterated kerosene.
Okere pointed out that he was mindful of the danger of storing illegally refined kerosene or any other fuel at home and lamented that the killer lerosene rendered many homeless and poorer.
“I am currently homeless for no fault of mine. I am squatting with someone within this area. Nobody was able to rescue a pin and we are more pained by the four children that died in the fire,” Okere said.
When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps in Rivers State, Mr. Akin Oguntuase, confirmed the incident.
Oguntuase explained that the State Command of the NSCDC had been warning against the purchase and sale of adulterated kerosene in the state.
Also, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the incident and added that the bodies of the children had been evacuated from the building after the fire was put out. PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How I Made Me =N=2.5 MILLION In 7 Days from 2 Common Product I Imported and how you can do the same. Click HERE FOR FREE Details right now Warning To Men: This 3 Foods Is Killing Your Erection. Click Here To Know Them Secret Fruits that increased my Manhood and makes me last 55 minutes+ all time - Click here to get it Warning: Got Arthritis? 3 Simple Ways To Get Cured And Be Permanently Free From Joint Pains. Click Here To See Them REVEALED!! Reduce Your Blood Sugar Level And Reverse Diabetics Within A Short Period Of Time. Click Here To See How MIDNIGHT,Pressed Mr Kilanko Suddenly Couldn't Urinate. Shrink your Enlarged Prostrate Here! Click Here Now