The one-storeyed building, which has adjoining lock-up shops, belongs to St James’ Cathedral, Oke Bola, Ibadan.
Goods burnt in the fire on Sunday were agricultural produce, building materials, mobile phone accessories, shoe materials and wood products, among others.
Our correspondent learnt that hoodlums took advantage of the disaster to steal aluminium roofs and other goods found in some of the shops.
Traders said they were helpless as they could not stop the hoodlums.
According to a security guard, who spoke on condition of anonymity, the fire began around 3am on Sunday from an electric spark in one of the shops, before it spread to other shops in the building.
Our correspondent, who visited the market, observed that all the shops and goods on the top floor were destroyed. The fire also affected the walls, which showed visible signs of cracks.
The security guard said, “Electricity was restored to the market around 9pm. All was alright until around 3am when I observed a spark from one of the shops. Immediately, power went off, while the fire started. The fire must have been caused by the electrical spark.
“We called for help, but help did not come early enough. The men of the state fire service came a few minutes before 5am; it was too late. They only ensured that the fire did not go beyond the top floor.”
It was learnt that the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Odude; the Secretary to the State Government, Olalekan Alli; and the Special Adviser to the Governor on Security Matters, Segun Bolarinwa, visited the scene of the fire.
Some of the traders in the market said they lost millions of naira to the fire.
Among them is Okechukwu, who said he had to cut short a journey to the East.
He said, “I met ashes and burnt receipts in my shop. Everything is gone. I used the place as a store. I have another shop elsewhere where I sell the goods. I had more than N25m worth of goods in the store, but all is gone. There is no shop owner here that had no good worth at least N15m. This is a big tragedy.”
Another trader in the market, Deborah Anuolu, said the fire was helped by chemicals stored in some of the shops, fuel from generators and gas cylinders.
“Every shop owner here has a generator. Some of the burnt shops had deep freezers and other types of refrigerators. These are agents that will aid fire. I ran a shop with my husband, but we are now in debt because we lost more than N50m worth of goods to the fire,” she said.
A member of the church that owns the building, who declined to be identified, said although a decision had yet to be taken, there was a possibility of pulling down the top floor before repairs could be carried out.
“The loss is on the side of the traders and the church. The church will spend more than N50m to repair the building. The walls have cracked and the structure is possibly distressed. The way it is now, it is dangerous for anyone to use,” he said. PLACE YOUR TEXT ADVERT BELOW:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How I Made Me =N=2.5 MILLION In 7 Days from 2 Common Product I Imported and how you can do the same. Click HERE FOR FREE Details right now Warning To Men: This 3 Foods Is Killing Your Erection. Click Here To Know Them Secret Fruits that increased my Manhood and makes me last 55 minutes+ all time - Click here to get it Warning: Got Arthritis? 3 Simple Ways To Get Cured And Be Permanently Free From Joint Pains. Click Here To See Them REVEALED!! Reduce Your Blood Sugar Level And Reverse Diabetics Within A Short Period Of Time. Click Here To See How MIDNIGHT,Pressed Mr Kilanko Suddenly Couldn't Urinate. Shrink your Enlarged Prostrate Here! Click Here Now