247 Nigeria News Update...We give you news updates all round the clock.
Sunday, 9 October 2016
Lagos unsafe under Ambode – Group
The Save Lagos Group has lamented the spate of kidnapping in Lagos, and declared that the state was no longer safe under the administration of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.
In a statement issued yesterday in reaction to the kidnap of school children and their teachers, the Convener, Comrade Adeniyi A. Sulaiman, and the Director of Media and Strategy, Comrade Olaolu Oladipo, said the state government had been paying lip service to the issue of securing the lives and property of residents.
According to the group, the spate of insecurity in the state has assumed worrisome dimension under the current government in spite of stated huge investment in security as claimed by the state government.
It said: “We have been daily inundated in the print media that the state government has been investing heavily in its efforts to secure residents of the state.“As at the last count, the state government had claimed that it has expended over N4billion to procure security gadgets to equip security personnel attached to the various security agencies.
“To our surprise, the state has continued to record serious security breaches, most especially under the current government, a situation that calls to question, the integrity of the claims of the state government in this direction.”
The statement noted that the kidnap of a traditional ruler in the state, the Oniba of Iba, Oba Yishau Oseni, ought to have served as a wake up call on the state government to live up to its responsibility of securing the state.
“Rather, the spate of kidnappings has gone on unabated with the state government having no clue on how to nip the scourge in the bud.
“What is even more worrisome is the fact that these merchants of evil owing to the laxity on the part the state government have carried their trade a notch further by raiding a school, carting away pupils and their teachers,” the group added.